Earlier this year, I was traveling a lot, which made my skin feel dehydrated, swollen, and droopy. I tried everything to make myself feel better, but there was only one thing that really worked for me - a lymphatic drainage face massage.
The best part was that I didn’t have to go to a fancy spa or leave my hotel room! All I needed was my laptop and a simple how-to video.
What are the benefits of a lymphatic drainage massage?
A lymphatic drainage massage is a form of gentle massage that removes waste and toxins from bodily tissues. It helps to reduce swelling around your face, neck, and eyes. It can also sculpt your jawline and lift your cheeks. In other words, your skin will look so much better!
5 simple face massage steps
1. Massage your jawline (press the point behind your jawline right below the earlobe)
2. Wake up your skin and lymph by stroking the side of your neck with your hands (from your earlobe to your collar bone)
(this is my serious face when I'm trying to show you how to warm up you lymph)
3. Massage your cheekbones (use your palms to lift the cheekbones up and then move your palms towards your ears)
(lift and slide, lift and slide)
4. Massage your jawline (use your the knuckles of your index and middle fingers only, start from the chin and move outwards)
5. Massage your forehead (upwards strokes first then follow the muscles to the sides)
Best YouTube video tutorials
Here are by far the best face contouring videos on YouTube. This one is pretty long, and I try to do it once per week.
If I have just a couple minutes and I need to reinvigorate my skin, I follow the massage from the 2nd video.
There are a couple of motions that I focus on that I really like and noticed the biggest difference from (don’t skip massaging and lifting your cheekbones). They help me depuff my skin and even make wrinkles less visible.
Face massage tips
- Massage your face using upward stroking moves, do not pull your skin down.
- It’s super important to start on the inside & work outwards then down to promote drainage.
- Apply very little pressure throughout the massage
- Use face serum or face oil - I like to combine Antioxidant Citrus Serum with a drop or two of my favorite face oil (currently using jojoba oil for the face massage)
- Make sure to drink plenty of water since it boosts the lymphatic system and helps remove bodily waste
- Massage tools I use: